Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mmmm! Del.icio.us!

If there is one thing that's important to know about me, it's that I love food. And there is nothing more delicious on the internet than delicious.com.

Not many online tools have come in as handy as my del.ici.ous. Yes, you may get weird looks from your coworkers when you say, "Oh! You should check out this awesome interactive webpage stored in my del.icio.us that I used to teach the circulatory system!"
But it certainly is pretty sweet.

What is Del.icio.us? Well, everyone has a bookmarks or favorites dropmenu on your internet browswer; you know, where you save all those websites you frequent or don't want to forget. If you're like me, then that drop menu is longer than the screen allows for. Imagine if you could more neatly organize all of your bookmarks, store your bookmarks in multiple categories, access them on ANY computer, and share them with your friends on the internet.

Del.ici.ous is as convenient as cloud sharing but you can also share your favorite URLs with friends and see how many other people also have bookmarked the sites that you have. Yes... social networking with bookmarks, who knew? If you're afraid of social networking, only people who you allow can see your bookmarks.

I used to have to save written URLs on sheets of paper or e-mail myself the link or save the link in order to access a webpage I found on a different computer. How may this be important to education? You could allow students to make a delicious and view your booksmarks. You can organize your bookmarks so that ones students need to use for a project could have a certain label. I use Delicious for planning and storing educational resources. Particularly interactive webpages that include animations I want to show in class for a certain lesson. I can't tell you how many times I've asked myself, "Aw, man! What was that website! How did I get to that resource?" Save your energy, get Del.icio.us. Clean yourself of clutter, clear your mind, organize webpages you use by unit or lesson, the opporunities are pretty much endless with Del.icio.us.

CHECK IT OUT!
www.Delicious.com

-Jen

(I forget how, but I had linked my Del.icio.us on a previous Blog while playing around. Keep checking back on my page, I'll try and figure it out!)

7 comments:

  1. Have you ever head of Pinterest? I just received an invite and am exploring its possible application in a classroom. It looks like a cool way to share things on a digital pin board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I have not heard of Pinterest. But I'm adding it to my delicious right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does seem a lot like Pinterest! I also am exploring this technology to post on my blog. I thought that Pinterest could be used to share lesson plans or ideas about a certain topic you were teaching about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing delicious! I just created an account the other day! I have not had a chance to explore it in depth, but I will let you know when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think delicious looks awesome! I'm eager to join! I LOVE Pinterest, but based on what you showed us in class, I actually feel that delicious might work better for professional purposes. I guess I will find out soon enough, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell this will be very beneficial as soon as I have the chance to set it up. Having everything in one place is one of the reasons why I love my twitter feed - all the tweets from the news sources I follow flow into one continuous stream. It's just one of the facets of Lifestreaming that the Internet is heading towards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shudder to think what my Lifestream would look like, starting with my first account on XX, a DEC-20 mainframe, in 1983 (the computer was later referred to as XX.MIT.EDU, but 1983 was before the whole domain name system existed so there was no .EDU).

      Delete